Visit NFL from the sidelines on the new Observer-Reporter site: http://www.observer-reporter.com/section/BLOGS08

Friday, April 21, 2006

Safety first

The more I've looked at things, the more I think the Steelers will go with a safety in the first round of this year's draft.

Why? It's the safest thing to do and another safety will help out immediately in the team's nickel defense.

Even with the signing of Ryan Clark, the Steelers have just Troy Polamalu, Clark and Tyrone Carter on the roster to play that important position.

Adding a first-round talent at the position to pair with Polamalu for years to come would be the smart thing to do. And Kevin Colbert is nothing if not smart.

So who will the pick be?

I think if the Steelers had their druthers, it would be Donte Whitner of Ohio State.

If he's gone before they pick in the first round, Darnell Bing, Daniell Bullocks or Jason Allen will get a look.

I'm still not sold on Allen's health, but I would have no problem with Bing or Bullocks, two big, physical safeties to pair with Polamalu.

A late riser in the team's plans has been Ko Simpson of South Carolina, who was originally thought to be one of the top safeties available before his stock fell for some reason. Simpson is back on the Steelers' radar, though probably not as a first-round possibility.

The sleeper pick? Stanford linebacker John Alston, a 6-0, 227-pounder who runs a 4.4-second 40. Hmm. A Pac 10 linebacker turned safety in the second round. Carnell Lake anyone?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had the Steelers picking Carpenter in my earlier mocks, but I'm pretty confident they will pick a safety now. Allen scares me..curious how his physical went..I think it will come down to Bing or Simpson.

Heres my new mock..it has changed ALOT. Yes thats right..I ahve Cutler being taken 3rd..LOL!

1. Houston- Reggie Bush RB...USC( A no-brainer, unless they trade the pick.)

2. New Orleans- Brickshaw Fergusan OT..Virginia( they might trade this pick for someone looking to trade up for a QB..like the Jets)

3.Tennessee- Jay Cutler QB...Vanderbelt(I had Young here, but after the tension between the Titans and McNair I've reconsidered)

4. New York Jets - Matt Leinart QB...USC(might trade up to get him 2nd)

5. Green Bay - Mario Williams DE..NC State(He has dropped since my previous mock)

6. San Francisco -A.J. Hawk OLB...Ohio State

7. Oakland -Vince Young QB...Texas(who would have thought Young would be the 3rd QB taken and the 7th pick overall)

8. Buffalo -Vernon Davis, TE...Maryland.

9. Detroit -Winston Justice OT...USC

10. Arizona-Haloti Ngata DT..Oregon

11. St. Louis- Brodrick Bunkley DT...Florida State

12. Cleveland-Manny Lawson LB...NC State

13. Baltimore-Tamba Hali DE.. Penn State

14. Philadelphia-Chad Jackson WR..Florida

15. Denver (from Atlanta)-Santonio Holmes WR..Ohio State

16. Miami-Jimmy Williams CB...Va. Tech.

17. Minnesota-Chad Greenway LB...Iowa

18. Dallas-Ernie Sims LB...Florida.

19. San Diego-Sinorice Moss WR...Miami(I don't think hes a 1st rounder..being 5' 8" and pretty much just a kick returner..but I think the Chargers will take him)

20. Kansas City-Tye Hill CB...Clemson

21. New England- DeAngelo Williams RB...Memphis

22. San Francisco(from Denver from Washington)-Gabe Watson DT..Michigan

23. Tampa Bay -Max Jean-Giles G...Georgia

24. Cincinnati Bengals-Antonio Cromartie CB...Florida State

25. N.Y. Giants-DeMeco Ryans LB...Alabama

26. Chicago-Johnathan Joseph CB...South Carolina

27. Carolina-LenDale White RB...USC(hes dropped since my previous mock)

28. Jacksonville-Bobby Carpenter LB...Ohio State(had the Steelers getting him in early mocks, but I think he'll be gone by then)

29. N.Y. Jets (from Denver)-Nick Mangold C...Ohio State

30. Indianapolis-Laurence Maroney RB...Minnesota

31. Seattle Seahawks-Ashton Youboty CB..Ohio State

31. Steelers- Theres three safeties avaible here that the Steelers could be looking at Jason Allen, Bing and Ko Simpson..I think the Steelers will shy away from Allen(depends how his physical went) and go with which ever one they feel confortable with. If White or Carpenter happen to be available all bets are off.

Dale Lolley said...

From everything I heard, his physical with them went well. I think somebody else will take Allen though. New England maybe.
I'm now zeroing in on Bing if they don't make a trade up for Whitner.