Visit NFL from the sidelines on the new Observer-Reporter site: http://www.observer-reporter.com/section/BLOGS08

Monday, July 28, 2008

One thing I forgot to mention

One thing I forgot to mention that I wanted to make note of Sunday has nothing to do with the football aspect, but everything to do with it.

When I was pulling into camp to unload my stuff, I noticed that they had already placed the parking signs out for the higher ups in the organization. They also placed Myron Cope's reserved sign up.

It was a reminder that Cope isn't with us this year.

A bunch of us media types went to dinner Sunday night and started telling Myron stories.

He hadn't been to camp much - if at all - the past couple of years, but Cope would call guys or send them notes on stories they did. He was that kind of guy.

The writers, in particular, will miss him. Cope was always a writer at heart, even when he was doing nothing but radio and TV.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when I was a kid my dad telling me that Myron Cope was probably one of the greatest sportswriters of his generation--right up there with guys like Frank DeFord--and that it was a shame most people didn't know that about him.

Anonymous said...

I don't live in the Burgh, but again, sorry to hear about Myron. He will be missed.