Visit NFL from the sidelines on the new Observer-Reporter site: http://www.observer-reporter.com/section/BLOGS08

Saturday, October 08, 2011

Remembering Al Davis

Raiders owner and AFL pioneer Al Davis has died.

There's little doubt Davis was one of the most flamboyant owners in the NFL. He also always marched to the beat of his own drum.

I'll never forget being a young reporter in my first or second year on the beat and walking to my seat at Three Rivers Stadium.
When I reached my seat, there was a guy standing there in a white warm-up suit with his hair all slicked back. He had an entourage of three or four guys with him.

It didn't take me long to realize it was Davis.

I waited for him to clear out of my space before finally sitting down. I've been around or talked to a lot of different owners in the league – none quite so humble or unassuming as the Steelers Dan Rooney – but Davis had a presence about him.

3 comments:

Patrick said...

he was the Howard Hughes of the NFL. Most fans are too young to appreciate his contributions (myself included) and only were familiar with him as a guy who was just about batshit crazy.

Its going to be interesting to see how the organization changes in the offseason. I also wonder if this is what brings the Raiders back to LA.

Dale Lolley said...

I would guess the Vikings or Jags are heading to LA. But the Raiders are still in the running

Steve-O said...

I'm in the Los Angeles area and I hear the Vikings and Jags (mostly Jags) thrown around. LA doesn't want the Raiders. Here in CA their fans are known as gangsters and thugs. LA wants a clean slate and a fanbase built on a new tradition, not the Raider's mystique.